Block co-ordinators are volunteers who help to connect the neighbourhood, keep communication flowing and ensure that neighbours look out for each other. Specific tasks include:
- Represent your block on the NHW committee and liaise between residents and the committee.
- Keep a register of the names and contact details of the people on your block, and share it with the NHW.
- Identify additional street co-ordinators if the block is too large for one person.
- Collect voluntary levies for the NHW and for the Rosebank and Mowbray Civic Association.
- Establish a communications chain (telephone/SMS/e-mail/Whatsapp) for your block, and keep it updated.
- Visit and invite new members to join.
- Notify your block of meetings/training sessions/workshops.
- Gather interesting topics and snippets for newsletters.
Safety & Security
- Identify suitable Safe Houses.
- Identify suitable suitable positions to display NHW signs.
- Ensure that all houses are clearly marked with a large and legible number to aid the police.
- Coach members to be aware of their surroundings.
- Ensure that all senior citizens are registered with the SAPS (WO Derek van der Merwe).
- Notify the City of Cape Town via the C3 system when road signs are damaged or lost.