From the Community Police Forum:
This week got off to a bad start with a nasty house robbery in Park Estate yesterday (Monday). The owner of a house in Strathallan Road was ambushed when he returned home at about 2pm by a gang of 4-5 men, who pistol-whipped him and tied him up before ransacking the house of various valuables, including a TV. Apparently, the domestic servant at the house had gone out briefly to the shops and the two large Alsatians in the yard has been doped. The gang is reported to be driving a Black BMW X5 motor vehicle.
For last week (September 30-October 6), the crime remained fairly low:
- There were two reported muggings – a woman student robbed by two men of her cellphone and laptop at 2am on Monday morning on the footbridge at the Public Transport Interchange; and a women robbed of her cellphone on Tuesday afternoon in Mont Clare Road by a man who escaped in a green bakkie.
- There were three reported house-breakings: On Tuesday during the day at 10 Wolmunster Road, when two laptops and two Ipods were stolen; On Friday during the day when a hard-drive was taken from 33 Roseberry Road, after the door had been forced open; and on Sunday during the day when a laptop, jewellery and sports equipment were taken from 32 Dixton Road.
- There was one business break-in: computer equipment taken from a shop at 78 Main Road.
- Two cars were stolen, both on Thursday afternoon: an Isuzu bakkie taken from 44 Malleson Road; and a yellow Uno taken from 18 Strubens Road.
- There were five reported thefts or attempted thefts from cars – on Thursday during the day at Ashley Road, when a laptop was taken; on Thursday morning at 11 Roxana Road; on Thursday night in Main Road; on Saturday night at Marivey Road, when a CD was taken from a car left unlocked in the yard; and at about midday on Sunday in Bridge Street.
- Two cases of assault were reported – one on Wednesday morning at the N2 overpass on Liesbeek Parkway, after which two men were arrested; and the other following a tiff over parking in Victoria Road on Saturday.